Among all other link building strategies, Directory Submissions is one of the easiest and fastest way to get one way back links for your website. Submitting in web directories not only get your website one way back-link but also could be proved a solid back-link after few days or months, if web directories are maintained and managed properly.
I am sure all of you heard about dmoz.org web directory. That’s a pretty old and well-maintained human edited directory. But today it has become tough to get listed in dmoz. There are some more quality free web directories like joeant.com, lii.org, jayde.com. I have seen every day about 5-10 new web directories are launched. And I am sure you can get not less than 10 web directories every month, which are edited by the human. From there you can choose the quality one. But how would you understand whether it’s a quality one or not? I have shared few points, which will certainly help you to recognize the quality web directory.
1) Submission guidelines - Yes this is the most important aspects in directory submission. I feel this part assure you that your website is submitted in quality web directories. If you don’t find then you can avoid that for the time being. I know its time taking to read such a lengthy guidelines but trust me this will not harm rather benefit your website.
2) Category Listings - Choose the proper category to list your website and see how they are maintaining their categories. If you select the category “Internet” then check whether they are listings only Internet related websites or not. If it is maintained properly then submit.
3) Category urls - This is another important factor in directory submission. Before you submit your website in any webdirectory, just have a look at the category urls where you want to list your website. Yeah, this would be better for your website, if the url is static e.g.- http: //www.aaa. com/internet.html . Because search engines dislike dynamic urls e.g. http://www.aaa .com/internet /thread. php?threadid= 12345&sort=date.
4) Automoted and Link farm directories - How would you understand its an automoted or link farm? My Point no.2 can help you to ubderstand this better. Yeah just visit the website categories if you find relevant websites listed then thats a genuine web directory, if not then simply skip that.
5) Number of external links - To get the better result from your effort, try to submit your website in those web directory where external links are maintained minimum 20 and maximum 50 links per page. As you know if links increase then the search engine value decreases.
6) No follow attribute - If you are worried about SEO value then simply skip coz Search Engine do not crawl such link with this attribute. If you find that web directory have good number of visitors and you care for visitors then you can submit there else just skip.
That’s not the end but those are important points which will definitely help you to submit your website in quality web directory.